(OnlineEd – Portland, OR) – Oregon real estate licensees (Broker, Principal Broker, or Property Manager) are now required to maintain their own continuing education records. Prior law required principal brokers to maintain the continuing education records for each of their brokers or property managers. As of January 1, 2011 licensees must keep their continuing education records for three years from the date the renewal application and fees were received by the Oregon Real Estate Agency. And they must be able to produce a copy of their continuing education records upon request by the Oregon Real Estate Agency.
The new law also requires licensees to self-certify their continuing education. To self-certify, licensees are required to attest on the renewal form that they have:
- Completed at least 30 hours of real estate qualifying continuing education
- Completed LARRC (Law and Rule Required Course), the required 3 hour course on changes in real estate rule and law as a part of the 30 hour requirement
- That the courses completed were eligible for credit because they:
- Were completed through an Oregon Real Estate Agency certified continuing education provider;
- Were completed prior to January 1, 2011 and approved for credit by the licensee’s principal real estate broker, if applicable because of they were completed prior to January 1, 2011. However, after December 31, 2012 all pre January 1, 2011 courses will no longer be eligible for continuing education credit towards license renewal; or
- Were either a real estate Advanced Practices (required for first license renewal, but accepted for continuing education for subsequent renewals) or Brokerage Administration and Sales Supervision course (required education to become a principal real estate broker, but also allowed for regular continuing education).
As part of the self-certification, licensees must maintain all certificates of completion received from certified continuing education providers, and complete and maintain the Oregon Real Estate Agency approved continuing education record form. The form and completion certificates must be maintained for 3 years from the date the certificates were used to renew the license. This form is obtained from the Oregon Real Estate Agency Web site: http://www.rea.state.or.us/REA/EDU/docs/CE_Licensee_Record_Keeping_Form.pdf
The certificates of course completion must have the required information, which includes:
- The name and license number of the licensee;
- The Oregon Real Estate Agency Certified Course Provider’s name and agency issued provider number;
- The course name and identification number as registered with the Oregon Real Estate Agency. This identification number is a four-digit identifying course number assigned by a continuing education provider, along with a 4-digit provider number assigned by the Oregon Real Estate Agency;
- The date, location, and length of time of the course;
- The eligible course topic(s) covered, or whether the course is the three-hour Law and Rule Required Course, Advanced Practices, or the Brokerage Administration and Sales Supervision course (“BASS”); and
- The name of the instructor who taught the course.
Licensees are also required to renew their licenses online at the Oregon Real Estate Agency’s Web site by using their e-Licensing system.
For more about OnlineEd® or to visit their Oregon real estate education catalog, please visit www.OnlineEd.com.
OnlineEd® is Oregon Real Estate Agency Certified Education Provider No. 1038