By Jeff Sorg
**This article has been updated to reflect the law changes that went into effect on July 1, 2011**
PORTLAND, OR (OnlineEd) – Oregon requires certain real estate licensees to complete an Oregon Real Estate Agency approved Advanced Real Estate Practices course. This article helps to clarify who does or does not need to take an Oregon Real Estate Agency approved Advanced Real Estate Practices course.
These are the licensees who will need to complete an Advanced Real Estate Practices course:
* A new Oregon broker – The first Oregon real estate license is valid from the date it was issued for one year and then to the last day of the licensees birthday month. A first renewal date might be less than 13 months after the State issued the license. For example, if the first license was issued in May 2009, and the licensee’s birthday is in June, the licensee would renew June 30, 2010.
* A previously licensed broker with an expired or lapsed license who obtained a new license and will renew for the first time since re-licensing.
* A licensee with an inactive license at the time of renewal who wants to reactivate it.
* A licensee who obtained a first broker license after June 30, 2002, but left it inactive and who have renewed at least once, and now wants to activate it.
* Individuals who had an Oregon real estate license, but let it expire or otherwise lapse, and then became re-licensed as a broker after June 30, 2002 by meeting the current licensing requirements, but left the license inactive since then, renewed the inactive license at least once and now wants to activate it.
The following are the licensees who do NOT need to complete an Advanced Real Estate Practices course:
* A principal broker, a property manager, or licensee who is inactive.
* Licensees who are inactive at the time of renewal do not need to take the course until reactivation.
Although the Advanced Real Estate Practices course requirement is different from regular continuing education requirements, it can also be used for continuing education.
If you still do not know if you need to take the advanced practices course after reviewing the chart, please contact OnlineEd at (503) 670-9278, (866) 519-9597, or by email. You may also find more information at www.OnlineEd.com.
OnlineEd® Oregon School # 1038
OnlineEd® is an Oregon Real Estate Agency Certified Continuing Education Provider under School Number 1038. For more information about the author, OnlineEd, or to enroll in their courses, please visit www.OnlineEd.com or call 503.670.9278 or 866.519.9597
Jeff Sorg is a co-founder of OnlineEd®, a Web-based vocational school founded in 1997 where he also serves as Corporate Secretary, Chief Operating Officer, and School Director. Sorg holds vocational instructor licenses in Oregon, Washington, California, and Nevada and has authored numerous pre-licensing and continuing education courses. Sorg was awarded the International Distance Education Certification Center’s CDEi Designation for distance education in 2008-2018.
OnlineEd® provides real estate, mortgage broker, insurance, and contractor pre-license, post-license, continuing education, career enhancement, and professional development and designation courses over the Internet.