(OnlineEd) – Spring has sprung and it’s time to embrace the concept of exterior home staging. OnlineEd® is proud to announce that we are the provider of “The Power of Staging,” a new course by renowned staging specialist Andy Capelluto. Here are some of Andy’s insider tips from her staging course to help you spruce up your listings.
Before you begin the actual process, spend some time standing at the front entrance of the property and take a good hard look at what you’re dealing with. This is your time to be observant and take a moment to see what potential buyers will see when they arrive at your listing, and again when they leave.
1. Begin at the mailbox and work your way from the street-side in towards the front door. Start decluttering your front yard by checking to see where dead wood can be eliminated. This means to trim, cut back, and remove anything that is overgrown and superfluous.
2. Remove whatever is unnecessary or unsightly – repair whatever is broken – upgrade wherever possible.
3. Pressure wash, clean and eliminate all remnants of winter. Pay special attention to the front door – it must look spectacular.
4. Paint is the cheapest, fastest and most effective method to upgrade the exterior. Any areas and features that could do with a little ‘facelift’ could be spot painted.
5. Introduce bold seasonal color in the form of masses of inexpensive annuals in planters, flower beds, and hanging baskets. Planters flanking the front door using one color of one specimen will help to give the front door the impact it deserves. Planting seasonal color also indicates new beginnings and adds color and life to your home.
6. If the front door mat, hardware and lighting fixtures don’t look their best, consider replacing them. They are inexpensive upgrades that will improve the look of a very important area of the home.
The Certified Staging Agent designation course is designed to help you present your listings in the best possible light. You can find the complete The Power of Staging course in the OnlineEd Professional Development catalog or click here to read more about it.
Jeff Sorg is a co-founder of OnlineEd®, an online real estate, mortgage broker, and vocational school founded in 1997, where he also serves as Chief Executive Officer, and School Director. Sorg holds vocational and post-secondary school instructor licenses in several states and has authored numerous real estate continuing education and pre-licensing courses and has been awarded the International Distance Education Certification Center’s CDEi Designation for distance education. Memberships include ARELLO (Association of Real Estate License Law Officials), the National Association of REALTORS®, Oregon Association of REALTORS®, and Portland Metro Association of REALTORS®. Awards and service include REALTOR® Emeritus in the National Association, Life Member award in Portland Metro Association and Chairperson of the Oregon Real Estate Forms Committee.
OnlineEd® provides real estate, mortgage broker, insurance, and contractor pre-license, post-license, continuing education, career enhancement, and professional development and designation courses over the Internet.