(866) 519-9597

Do You Need an Oregon Real Estate License?

by | Mar 4, 2016

Generally, you’ll need a license if you want to assist someone in buying, selling or managing rental real estate for a fee

By Jeff Sorg, OnlineEd Blog

canstockphoto7389305 real estate license card(March 4, 2016) – Generally, if you want to assist someone in buying or selling real estate for a fee, or you want to manage rental real estate for someone else for a fee, you need a real estate license.

Oregon Real Estate License Law says a real estate license is required for someone to conduct professional real estate activity (ORS 696.020).  Professional real estate activity (ORS 696.010) means:

“. . . any of the following actions, when engaged in for another and for compensation or in the expectation or upon the promise of receiving or collecting compensation, by any person who:
(a) Sells, exchanges, purchases, rents or leases real estate;
(b) Offers to sell, exchange, purchase, rent or lease real estate;
(c) Negotiates, offers, attempts or agrees to negotiate the sale, exchange, purchase, rental or leasing of real estate;
(d) Lists, offers, attempts or agrees to list real estate for sale;
(e) Offers, attempts or agrees to perform or provide a competitive market analysis or letter opinion, to represent a taxpayer under ORS 305.230 or 309.100 or to give an opinion in any administrative or judicial proceeding regarding the value of real estate for taxation, except when the activity is performed by a state certified appraiser or state licensed appraiser;
(f) Auctions, offers, attempts or agrees to auction real estate;
(g) Buys, sells, offers to buy or sell or otherwise deals in options on real estate;
(h) Engages in management of rental real estate;
(i) Purports to be engaged in the business of buying, selling, exchanging, renting or leasing real estate;
(j) Assists or directs in the procuring of prospects, calculated to result in the sale, exchange, leasing or rental of real estate;
(k) Assists or directs in the negotiation or closing of any transaction calculated or intended to result in the sale, exchange, leasing or rental of real estate;
(L) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 696.030, advises, counsels, consults or analyzes in connection with real estate values, sales or dispositions, including dispositions through eminent domain procedures;
(m) Advises, counsels, consults or analyzes in connection with the acquisition or sale of real estate by an entity if the purpose of the entity is investment in real estate; or
(n) Performs real estate marketing activity as described in ORS 696.600.”

There are some circumstances in which an individual is not required to be licensed.  These exemptions to licensing can be found in ORS 696.030. The Agency cannot say if an exemption applies to a certain situation.  If you need help in determining if you need a real estate license in Oregon, please seek the advice of an attorney.


For more information about OnlineEd and their education for real estate brokers, principal brokers, property managers, and mortgage brokers, visit www.OnlineEd.com.

 All information contained in this posting is deemed correct as of the date of publication, but is not guaranteed by the author and may have been obtained by third-party sources. Due to the fluid nature of the subject matter, regulations, requirements and laws, prices and all other information may or may not be correct in the future and should be verified if cited, shared or otherwise republished.

Newsletter Signup

Get regular updates about OnlineEd products and industry news.