(Jeff Sorg, OnlineEd® – Portland, OR) If you have a real estate license in any other state and want to become an Oregon principal broker, you will need to meet the following qualifications and requirements. The Oregon principal broker license is the license given to supervise other Oregon real estate licensees or to those who don’t wish to be supervised. Note that Oregon has a real estate broker license and a real estate principal broker license. Oregon does not have a real estate salesperson license. In states having broker and salesperson licenses, Oregon’s principal broker license will be equivalent to the real estate broker license.
- Principal broker applicants must have three years of active licensed real estate experience: Out-of-state experience must be verified by a certified licensing history document, dated within the past year, from the state agency responsible for licensing real estate persons in that state and must show the actual period of time the out-of-state license was active. If an applicant does not meet any of the standard experience requirement options for principal broker licensing but has other real estate-related experience and/or education, a waiver of the required experience may be requested from the Oregon Real Estate Board;
- Be at least 18 years of age; and
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
If you meet the above qualifications you must complete the following steps :
- Enroll in the OnlineEd® Oregon Real Estate Agency approved 150-hour Oregon Real Estate Broker Pre-License Course;
- Make application for your Oregon license through the Oregon Real Estate Agency’s online license application and management system; pay the $230 license fee; and submit a certified license history from the state holding your active real estate license.
- Complete your Real Estate Broker pre-license course;
- Enroll in the OnlineEd® Oregon Real Estate Agency Approved 40-hour Brokerage Administration and Sales Supervision (“BASS”) course, aka: The Principal Broker Course;
- Confirm with OnlineEd® that application for your license has been made by providing us with the applicant ID number given by the Oregon Real Estate Agency when they acknowledged your application;
- Complete the BASS course;
- Receive acknowledgement from OnlineEd® that you have been made eligible with the exam proctor for the principal broker licensing exam;
- Register and pay for the principal broker license exam through the exam proctor’s web site or by telephone;
- At the exam site, pay for and submit fingerprints for a background check;
- When your background check is cleared, choose to work for another principal broker or on your own. If on your own, under your own name, log into the license management system and select “Operate Under my Own License” and complete the process. If on your own, under a registered business name, log in and select “Registered Business Name Application,” complete the process and pay the fee. If working for another principal broker, that principal broker will need to log in to the license management system and associate you with his/her business.
OnlineEd® is Oregon Real Estate Agency approved provider number 1038 and an Oregon licensed vocational school offering real estate, mortgage, contractor, and insurance licensing and continuing education courses.
For more information about OnlineEd®, please visit www.OnlineEd.com or telephone 503.670.9278
Jeff Sorg is a co-founder of OnlineEd®, an online real estate, mortgage broker, and vocational school founded in 1997, where he also serves as Chief Executive Officer, and School Director. Sorg holds vocational and post-secondary school instructor licenses in several states and has authored numerous real estate continuing education and pre-licensing courses and has been awarded the International Distance Education Certification Center’s CDEi Designation for distance education. Memberships include ARELLO (Association of Real Estate License Law Officials), the National Association of REALTORS®, Oregon Association of REALTORS®, and Portland Metro Association of REALTORS®. Awards and service include REALTOR® Emeritus in the National Association, Life Member award in Portland Metro Association and Chairperson of the Oregon Real Estate Forms Committee.
OnlineEd® provides real estate, mortgage broker, insurance, and contractor pre-license, post-license, continuing education, career enhancement, and professional development and designation courses over the Internet.