Tag Archives: CCB

Work That Does and Does Not Require an Oregon Contractor License

(Jeff Sorg, OnlineEd® – Portland, OR) Anyone doing work in Oregon for compensation in any construction-related activity that involves improvements to real estate is to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractor Board.

There are some exemptions from licensure, provided there isn’t any advertising to obtain the work, including over the internet, business cards, and signs.

These are two exceptions:

  • If the price of the work performed is under $500
  • If the work is casual, minor, or inconsequential in nature

Some examples of work that DOES require a license:

  • Floor covering
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Roofing
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Tree Service
  • Concrete
  • Heating
  • Air conditioning
  • On-Site appliance repair
  • Home inspections
  • Land Development
  • Manufactured dwelling installations

Some examples of work that does not require a license:

  • Gutter cleaning
  • Pressure washing
  • Debris removal or cleanup (yard or construction site)

For more information about becoming an Oregon licensed contractor, visit our post, How to Get Your Oregon Contractor License.


 OnlineEd® is Oregon construction Contractors Board approved contractor pre-license course provider and an Oregon licensed vocational school offering real estate, mortgage, contractor and insurance courses. For more information about OnlineEd®, please visit www.OnlineEd.com or contact 503.670.9278










Big Fines Issued in Portland, OR Unlicensed Contractor Sting Operation

OnlineEd (Portland, OR) – KATU News recently teamed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board to launch a sting operation designed to catch unlicensed contractors advertising for work in Portland, Oregon. An undercover reporter, pretending to be a homeowner in need of a contractor to perform various work activities requiring a Oregon contractors license, called numerous online ads from web sites such as Craigslist, invited the unlicensed contractors to a property, and then solicited them for bids.  As soon as the unlicensed contractors gave their written bids, a Contractors Board enforcement officer moved in to issue citations ranging from $600 to $1,300.

In Oregon, any individual who does work for or gives written bids to others in expectation of receiving work for certain types of activities such as  roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, on-site appliance repair, heating, air conditioning, electrical, floor covering, plumbing or home inspections must be licensed, bonded, and insured.

Obtaining a contractors license in Oregon is a very simple process, requiring just 16 hours of study and passage of a state licensing examination. Once the licensing examination is passed, the license applicant will need to obtain a bond and insurance. The OnlineEd (www.OnlineEd.com) Oregon CCB approved Oregon Contractors Licensing Course costs just $149, includes the required Oregon Contractors Reference Manual, a 16-hour online course of study, practice exams, and instructor and author support by telephone or email. The Oregon state licensing examination costs only $85.

For additional questions about the licensing process or the OnlineEd course of study, please complete the form below or visit their web site at https://www.onlineed.com.

To watch the KATU news report, please visit their link:  http://www.katu.com/news/problemsolver/115978144.html?tab=video&c=y

To visit the Oregon Contractors Board Web Site for more licensing information, please visit their link: http://www.oregon.gov/CCB/Licensing_I.shtml


For more information about OnlineEd and their education for real estate brokers, principal brokers, property managers, and mortgage brokers, visit www.OnlineEd.com.

 All information contained in this posting is deemed correct as of the date of publication, but is not guaranteed by the author and may have been obtained by third-party sources. Due to the fluid nature of the subject matter, regulations, requirements and laws, prices and all other information may or may not be correct in the future and should be verified if cited, shared or otherwise republished.

CCB Adopts Permanent Rules Exempting Some Continuing Edcuation


(October 7, 2011 – Oregon Construction Contractors Board) – Senate Bill 155 (2011) paved the way in July for the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) to adopt temporary rules exempting electrical and plumbing contractors from some of the residential continuing education requirements. At the September 27, 2011 meeting, Board members adopted rules to permanently provide those exemptions to electrical and plumbing contractors licensed through the Department of Consumer and Business Services, Building Codes Division.  These contractors are exempt from the three hours in Building Exterior Shell Training (BEST) and the two hour requirement in building codes. They must substitute the five exempted hours with five elective hours. For most electrical and plumbing contractors their total CCB residential continuing education  requirement is 3 CORE hours in CCB’s Laws, Regulations and Business Practices (LRB) and 13 hours  of electives.  Electives may be completed by applying courses taken to maintain electrical and plumbing licenses, as  well as another construction or construction business related training, including trainings on safety,  manufacturers product installation and best practices and first aid/CPR..

Residential contractors began demonstrating compliance with continuing education with license  renewals beginning October 1, 2011. Also included in the permanent rule was the limited exemption from the BEST and building codes  requirement for contractors who have an owner or officer licensed as an architect or a professional  engineer. Those contractors must fulfill the additional five hours of electives.

[Original CCB Document]




For more information on contractor continuing education visit the CCB website at: www.oregon.gov/CCB or call 503-378-4621. The CCB is a state agency licensing more than 39,000 contractors. Anyone who is paid to repair, improve or build a home must be licensed by the CCB.

OnlineEd® is an Oregon CCB approved course provider. For information about our course, please visit:  www.OnlineEd.com For more informaiton about OnlineEd, visit us at www.OnlineEd.com or give us a call, toll free, at 866.519.9597

What’s Required to Become an Oregon Home Inspector

hardhat canstockphoto1396154(Jeff Sorg, OnlineEd – Portland, OR) Anyone who advertises, works, or bids as a home inspector is required to be certified by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (“CCB”) as a home inspector.

Any individual who, for a fee, inspects and delivers a report on the overall physical condition of a residential structure is considered to be a home inspector. A home inspector inspects more than one structural component. These components include:

  • Exterior of the structure
  • Roofing
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Insulation
  • Ventilation
  • Interior of the structure
  • Heating
  • Central air conditioning
  •  Built-in appliances

The following do not need to be certified as home inspectors in Oregon:

  • Individuals who inspect only one structural component, such as a roof, lead-based paint, plumbing, siding, etc.;
  • Individuals who do not inspect and provide a report on the “overall” condition of a residential structure, such as wood destroying organism, pest, mold and dry rot inspectors;
  • Individuals who are not home inspectors;
  • Individuals licensed as a general contractor each year during the period from January 1, 1991 through August 11, 1997;
  • Appraisers acting within the scope of their license;
  • Individuals working for a governmental agency as a code compliance inspector; and
  • Pesticide operators licensed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture, when not conducting  inspections for wood destroying organisms for the purchase or sale of real estate.

The first step to becoming a home inspector is to complete a Qualification Test Application and attach proof of eligibility using the CCB’s Qualifying Point Documentation. These two forms, along with payment of the $50 application fee will be used to determine if the applicant is qualified to become certified. If the applicant is qualified, the CCB will mail the applicant a qualification letter and study guide. After studying the guide, the applicant will need to pass a test. To request to take the test, the applicant must return a copy of the qualification letter, the $50 test fee and choose a testing site. To become certified, the applicant must pass all five sections of the test with a score of at least 75%and submit the $150 certification fee to the CCB. Once the fee is received, the CCB will issue the applicant’s certification and official pocket card.

A home inspection business also needs a contractor license from the Oregon CCB

Once the applicant gets certified, the applicant must also be the owner or an employee of a CCB licensed business to practice home inspections. Generally, a home inspection business also needs a contractor license from the Oregon CCB. In Oregon, a home inspection business is defined as one or more owners or one or more employees who are home inspectors. If a home inspector is a sole proprietor, then the home inspector and the home inspection business are one and that same. To find out what is required to become an Oregon Contractors Construction Board licensed contractor, please read this article.


OnlineEd® is an Oregon CCB approved course provider. For information about our course, please visit:  www.OnlineEd.com For more information about OnlineEd, visit us at www.OnlineEd.com or give us a call, toll-free, at 866.519.9597


Oregon Construction Contractors Board Certified Lead Based Paint Renovation Contractor License

By Jeff Sorg

(OnlineEd – Portland, Or) The Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) offers a Certified Lead Based Paint Renovation (LBPR) Contractor License to contractors who have completed  their EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) program. Oregon is approved by the EPA to administer the EPA’s  program for requirements on construction that might involve lead-based paint. The program:

  • Adopts lead renovation, repair and painting program rules
  • Certifies training providers
  • Certifies contractors in states that do no have a state program
  • Approves states to “take over” the program
Contractors who renovate target housing or child-occupied facilities need to have the certified LBR contractor license. “Renovation” means, for example:
  • Modification of painted or varnished doors
  • Restoring building surfaces
  • Window repair, removal, or replacement
  • Painting preparation (sanding, scraping, ect)
  • Removal of walls, ceilings, and plumbing
  • Interior controls that disturb painted surfaces
Renovation does not include “minor repair and maintenance.”  Minor repair and maintenance means
  • 6 square feet or less of painted interior surface; or
  • 20 square feet or less of painted exterior surface.
“Target housing” is housing built before 1978, except for:
  • Housing built for the elderly or persons with disabilities; or
  • Housing without a bedroom
“Child-Occupied facilities” mean a building, or part thereof, regularly used by the same child under age 6. Examples of child-occupied facilities are:
  • Day care centers
  • Preschools
  • Kindergarten classrooms
  • Restrooms commonly used by children
Child-occupied facilities likely do not include:
  • Sunday school classrooms used weekly
  • Supermarkets
  • Hallways in public schools
 RPR training is an 8-hour, hands-on, live course that business owners or employees are required to complete in order to become certified. The certification is valid for 5 years.
OnlineEd® does not provide this certification course, but provides this alphabetical list of Oregon providers as a courtesy:
Accredited RRP Northwest/Glen R. Hayden Construction
365 Salem Hts Ave S
Salem, OR 97302
Phone: 503-871-9754
E-mail: hayden365@comcast.net
Allied Services/Affiliate of Southern Oregon Environmental Services
P.O. Box 1001
Jacksonville, OR 97350
Phone: 503-636-4040 (Portland)
888-492-3177 (Toll-Free)
Web site: www.asbestosleadpaintmold.com
AMEC Earth & Environmental, Inc.
7376 SW Durham Road
Portland, OR 97224
Phone: 503-639-3400
Web site: www.amectraining.com
B Classic Painting & Remodeling, LLC
900 Alder Street
Sweet Home, OR 97386
Phone: 541-818-0246
E-mail: Bclassicpnr@gmail.com 
CALINC Training, LLC
2040 Peadbody Road
Vacaville, CA 95687
Phone: 800-359-4467
Web site: www.cal-inc.com 
Community Energy Project
422 NE Alberta Street
Portland, OR 97211
Phone: 503-284-6827
Web site: www.communityenergyproject.org 
1421 Clarkview Road, Suite 100
Baltimore, MD 21209
Phone: 410-296-7971
Web site: www.connorinstitute.com
Green Education Services
419 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10003
Phone: 800-355-1751
Web site: www.greenedu.com
Industrial Hygiene Resources, Ltd
206 Murray Street
Boise, ID 83714
Phone: 208-323-8287
Web site: www.industrialhygieneresources.com 
Integrity Safety Services
13912 NE 20th, Suite 201
Vancouver, WA 98686
Phone: 360-574-6071
Web site: www.integritysafety.com
Kachina Contractor Solutions LLC
530 Stahr Rd
Elkins Park, PA 19027
Phone: 888-800-5224
Web site: www.KachinaContractorSolutions.com
Lead Solutions, Inc.
1297 Sullivan Court NW
Salem, OR 97304
Phone: 503-703-0338
Web site: www.leadpaintguru.com
National Center for Healthy Housing
10320 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 500
Columbia, MD 21044
Phone: 877-312-3046
Web site: www.nchh.org
NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center
[Training limited to IBEW/NECA contractors and employees]
16021 NE Airport Way
Portland, OR 97230
Phone: 503-262-9991
Web site: www.nietc.org
NorthWest Hazmat Inc.
36 West Q Street
Springfield, OR 97477
Phone: 541-988-9823
Web site: www.nwhazmat.com 
Oregon Home Builders Association 
375 Taylor Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-378-9066
Web site: www.oregonhba.com 
Oregon Southern Idaho Laborers Training Trust
6011 NE Marcus Harris Avenue
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-745-5513
Web site: www.osilaborerstraining.org 
RGA Environmental, Inc
1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 900
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: 206-281-8858
Web site: http://www.rgatraining.com 
Safety Directions, LLC
93947 Autumn Lane
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Phone: 541-266-9077
Web site: www.safety-directions.com
Truckee Meadows Community College
Workforce Development
475 Edison Way, Suite 102
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: 775-857-4958
Web site: www.tmcc.edu/wdce
Unlimited Choices, Inc.
Lead Learning Center
211 SE 80th Avenue
Portland, OR 97215
Phone: 503-234-6167
Web site: www.unlimitedchoices.org
Western Oregon and SW Washington Painters, Drywall Finishers, & Allied Trades Apprenticeship
12687 NE Whitaker Way
Portland, OR 97230
Phone: 503-287-4856
Web site: www.paintertraining.org
Western Regional Lead Training Center
1950 SE 176th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233-4739
Phone: 503-761-2800
Web site: www.wrltc.com
A complete listing of nationwide providers can be found at the EPA’s Web site

CCB Sting Surprises Uncertified Locksmiths and Unlicensed Contractors



(Portland- Oregon CCB) – On  January 19 and 20, 2011,  uncertified locksmiths and unlicensed contractors in the Happy Valley area had a surprise waiting for them. The Construction Contractors Board (CCB)  conducted a sting operation designed to curb uncertified locksmith and unlicensed contractor activity in the area. The Portland ABC affiliate KATU participated and filmed the action. The CCB partnered with a member of the Pacific Locksmith Association to locate a sting house.

At the end of the two-day sting, CCB issued 8 individuals a total of 9 proposed field orders; 3 for unlicensed construction activity and 6 for uncertified locksmith activity.  Field Investigators forwarded additional reports to CCB’s Enforcement section for further investigation and possible action.

“Illegal activity doesn’t just hurt the consumer,” says Robert Rambo, Manager of CCB’s Field Investigations. “It hurts the legitimate contractors that work hard to stay in compliance only to get undercut by those who don’t. The CCB is committed to finding and penalizing those working illegally.” Continue reading

Oregon Contractors Board Conducts Sting Operation


PORTLAND, OR (OnlineEd) – On August 24, 2010, uncertified locksmiths and unlicensed contractors in the Eugene area had a surprise waiting for them.

In a statement released by Gina Fox, Oregon Construction Contractors Board, the Construction Contractors Board (CCB) conducted a sting operation designed to curb uncertified locksmith and unlicensed contractor activity in the area. The CCB issued five proposed orders for unlicensed construction activity and three proposed orders for uncertified locksmith activity. The CCB partnered with the Lane County Home Builders Association to locate a sting house.
“Illegal activity doesn’t just hurt the consumer,” says Robert Rambo, Manager of CCB’s Field Investigations. “It hurts the legitimate contractors that work hard to stay in compliance only to get undercut by those who don’t. The CCB is committed to finding and penalizing those working illegally.”
Though licensing of construction contractors have been part of Oregon law since the 1970’s, laws requiring locksmith certification and licensing became effective July 1, 2010. Locksmiths in Oregon are required to be certified and the business licensed by the CCB unless exempted by law.
Prior to the sting, the CCB obtained leads from advertisements, Craig’s list, public bulletin boards, and other unnamed sources.
The CCB has stepped up enforcement efforts throughout the state with more stings planned as well as jobsite checks happening at any given time on any day of the week.
Contractors and consumers can report illegal activity on the CCB website or by calling the agency at 503-378-4621.
The CCB strongly encourages consumers to verify a contractor is actively licensed. Consumers can easily check the license and complaint history at www.oregon.gov/CCB or by calling 503-378-4621.
Licensed contractors have a bond and insurance which offer some financial protections if something were to go wrong. Homeowners can get help resolving construction-related disputes within a year from the time the work was substantially completed or the work stopped. These protections are only available if the contractor is licensed with the CCB.
Unlicensed contractors can get licensed by completing the Oregon approved online contractor licensing course at www.OnlineEd.com, passing a state licensing examination and meeting other requirements. To view a complete list of licensing requirements, please visit our blog article, Do You Need an Oregon Contractor License?

Do You Need An Oregon Contractor License?

Does your business require a contractor license in Oregon? Not all construction activities require a contracting license. However, according to Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS701.005(5)), many do.

Requires a Contracting License:

You need a contracting license if you want to do any of the following in Oregon:

  • Build a residential or small commercial structure to sell.
  • Get paid to work on a:
    • building
    • highway
    • road
    • railroad
    • excavation project
    • development or improvement attached to real estate
  • Service or clean chimneys
  • Remove or limb trees.
  • Teach school students construction skills by building and selling a structure.
  • Supply home inspector services.

Does Not Require a Contracting License:

Some “construction work” does NOT require a license and is specifically exempt:

  • Gutter cleaning.
  • Pressure washing.
  • Landscaping and gardening.
  • Commercial timber harvesting.
  • Working on personal property.
  • Working on federal property.
  • Producing materials, supplies, and equipment.
  • Working on a job totalling less than $1,000, as long as you don’t advertise yourself as a “contractor”.
  • Resident homeowners (house-flippers DO require a license).
  • Working on a structure you own that you are not selling later on.
  • Building manufactured homes.
  • Working as an employee of a contractor.
  • Delivering manufactured homes or modular structures (size limits apply).
  • Working as a mortgage loan originator or real estate agent.
  • Providing day laborers.
  • Working as a city or county inspector.

Requires a Different Kind of License

Some construction activities are governed by other laws and require separate licensing requirements. These activities do not require a contractor license, but may require some other license:

  • Architect licensed by the State Board of Architect Examiners.
  • Professional engineer registered by the State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying.
  • Water well contractor licensed by the Water Resources Department.
  • Sewage disposal system installer licensed by the Department of Environmental Quality.
  • Pesticide operator (does not include termite inspector).
  • Appraiser or assistant licensed by the Appraiser Certification and Licensure Board.
  • Persons building ONLY fences, decks, arbors, patios, landscape edging, driveways, walkways, or retaining walls
  • Landscaper (under certain conditions)

This is not an exhaustive list. For complete rules and instructions on obtaining a contractor license, check out the Oregon CCB website.

If you want to start your own business and you do need an Oregon contracting license, the first thing you will need is a “pre-license course”. This state-required education is necessary to pass an exam to get your license.

OnlineEd offers a comprehensive Oregon Construction Contractor License Training Course that provides you with the needed education for your licensing exam. This course includes an official textbook, online study reviews, and practice tests to get you ready for the exam.

For more information about how to get a contracting license and how the process works, visit our Oregon Construction Contractor License Training page.